Thursday 29 September 2011

Show Me How To Love

Hi

How often do we really think about how to truly love someone.  I am not just talking about love in a romantic sense, but love in every aspect of our lives.  Does it revolve all around us or is it really about the needs of the other person?  Selfless.

On monday I refered to a movie I watched over the weekend "A walk to remember".  To keep a long story short. It was about a girl (18 years old) who saw the good characteristics in a guy (also 18 years old).  She believed in him and that changed him, and made him believe in himself and made him achieve so many things.  He in return did so many things for her, things that she always wanted to do before the end of her life, but didn't quite know how to achieve/make it happen. They fell in love after while. He discovered she had leukemia and he stood by her until the end, even at a young age like that.  Their love was so deep, so pure. Somewhere during the course of the movie a minister read 1 Corinthians 13.   It made me want to read it.  I got it from The Message translation.

1Co 13:1  If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
1Co 13:2  And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3  If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
1Co 13:4  Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant
1Co 13:5  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
1Co 13:6  it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.
1Co 13:7  Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1Co 13:8  Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
1Co 13:9  For we know in part and we prophesy in part,
1Co 13:10  but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.
1Co 13:11  When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
1Co 13:12  For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
1Co 13:13  So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.


So, I was thinking.   Do we really always attempt to love people the way God expects us to?  Do we think of what is best for us or for them? Do we love like Jesus does?

It is something I will continously be asking myself and ask His help with. Ask Him to "Show me how to love......"

No comments:

Post a Comment