Friday 21 October 2011

Fear. Should You Be In Control?


We are all driven by fear in a certain extent.  Sometimes it keeps us on track.  A certain amount of fear will stop you from crossing a busy road, giving your best at work if you don’t want to get into trouble or be successful, help you not to do the wrong thing as there will be consequences.

It is a completely natural human emotion and it doesn’t mean that you don’t trust God.  The question is not whether it is ok to be afraid, it is what you do with that fear that is important?  Do you let it take control of your heart, your thoughts?  Do you maybe try to control the things that cause fear in your life?  We don’t always know what the future holds and there are some valid things to be uncertain about.  Will I still have a job tomorrow?  Will I be able to make my budget balance?  Am I going to be single for the rest of my life?  Will my children be ok in the unsafe world we live in?

What would be your first reaction when thinking about these things?  How am I going to work this out?  What should I do?  Will I be able to get through this? How can I control this?  As soon as we feel that a situation is out of control we start worrying about it and try to fix it.

Wouldn’t it be more practical to try and give the responsibility to someone else?  Put the ball in someone else’s court for a change?  There is prayer that reads:
“God grant me the serenity
to
accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference”

Not an easy thing to do, but definitely something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment